Saturday, October 1, 2011

Memory Lane: Diagonal Stripe

Here's another "Memory Lane" sweater from my own closet. This is another one that goes back about 20 years. I had seen a picture of a diagonal striped sweater in similar colors and decided to knit one myself.
Twenty-ish years later, I still like these colors, I still like the diagonal stripe and I still wear this sweater. Yeah, it has that 80s over-sized look, but hey, at least not the big shoulder pads.

In this shot, my complete lack of attention to how the sleeve stripes would intersect the body is quite evident.

Interestingly, that's something I never noticed until I took this picture. Perhaps which the drop shoulder style, most of the seam - which is very obvious in this photo - gets hidden in the folds when it's worn. Or maybe those diagonal stripes on the body section really draw the eye so the sleeves don't get noticed. Or perhaps I'm a bit blind when it comes to my own knitting.

The yarn is a cotton with a bit of a slub, so the surface has some texture to it. Here's a shot of the bottom edge striping (which is repeated at the neckline and the sleeve cuffs).

With it's loose fit and cotton yarn, this sweater is fairly cool to wear, even though it has long sleeves. On the other hand, the boxy shape and dropped shoulders make it a bit too bulky to fit comfortably under a light jacket.

When I worked in an office, I would occasionally wear this sweater on casual Fridays. Up here on Lopez - where 80+ degrees is unusually hot - it works as a summer sweater. In my life though, around-the-house clothes and office clothes are the two categories that have tended to get lots of use. For me, this sweater falls into the zone between those categories and so, while I like this sweater and still wear it, I can't say that I've worn it a lot. Of course, the fact that I haven't worn it a lot may be a factor in why I still where it. Who knows?

No comments:

Post a Comment