Friday, October 7, 2011

Gloves (and then a Hat) for Bill

Towards the end of last winter, Bill held up his commercially produced wool gloves, pointed out the holes and noted that a knitter's spouse really ought to have a nice pair of hand-knit gloves.

He's right, of course, and I happened to have some lovely wool yarn on hand, having purchased it about a year or so earlier. (On sale!)

I bought the yarn with the idea of knitting Bill a hat, but since I didn't know what design I would use, I bought extra to be sure I didn't run out. I thought the self-striping earth tones and thick/thin yarn could be simple and interesting at the same time. After checking my stash, I decided I had enough yarn to make gloves as well as a hat and since the urgent need for gloves had been brought to my attention, that's where I started.

Bill likes "thick" fabrics, so while the recommended needle size was 7, I ended up using size 4 needles. (Partly, because I have a set of size 4 double pointed needles.) I wanted to keep the stitch pattern simple to show off the yarn and decided on 3 small cables up the back of the hand (blending in to the index, middle and ring fingers of the glove) and stockinette stitch for everything else. For the cuff, I chose a hem, rather than ribbing. Here's the wrist edge of the back side of the gloves.
Here's a full shot of the back side of the pair.
You can sort of see that the thick/thin yarn gives the stockinette stitch thumb and fingers a bit of a Wicked Witch of the West look. You can see it even more in this shot.

Here is the palm side of the gloves.
On this one, you can see the indentation where the hem is joined to the main fabric of the cuff. You can also see the thumb shaping increases that begin at the center of the palm just above the cuff/hem indent.

Here's a shot of the cuff turned inside out and the purled turning row. (At the top of the cuff in this photo.)

Finally, here are a couple photos of the gloves on Bill's hands. (He told me that once the hat is finished, he will pose for some better photos of the hat & gloves.)
I finished these up in the spring. Right about the time winter gloves were no longer needed. I have good notes, so maybe I'll write up the pattern.

No comments:

Post a Comment