Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Memory Lane: Cotton high-neck tank

This is the first in my personal collection of oldies. It's a just-below-the-waist length tank with cut-away armholes and a high neck.
I'm fairly sure that I bought the yarn when I was still living in New York, so that would have been about 25 years ago. I can't remember if I knit it in NYC or after I had moved to LA. Either way, it's at least 15 years old and is probably in it's early- to mid-20s. I planned to knit a sweater set, but never did get around to knitting the cardigan. (I hung on to the extra yarn for years!)



The yarn is a mercerized cotton so it has a little sheen to it. The fabric is simply stockinette stitch with ribbed edges. I think the neckline and shoulder closure add interest and I picked out fun buttons since I knew they would be quite visible.
Here's a picture of it on me. (If I had been paying more attention when I had Bill take the photo, I would have turned the other way so the shoulder closure would be more visible.)
This top got lots and lots of use in all those years I worked in an office. It slips under a blazer beautifully and the just-below-the-waist length works well over skirts. The color paired nicely with just about every color in my work wardrobe (black, navy, khaki, brown). The high neck helped ward off the chill in overly air-conditioned offices.

Now that I live in the Pacific Northwest and I don't work in an office, I've found that I don't wear this much at all. I'm not quite ready to take it to the thrift shop or "Neil's mall", but I probably will soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment