Sunday, November 13, 2011

Second Sock, Second Time

As mentioned at the end of my previous post, during my recent trip to Kauai, I just about finished knitting this second sock ... for the second time!!
So, why a second time? After all, the first sock looks perfectly fine, doesn't it? Of course it does.

Nevertheless, after I finished the toe on the second sock, I had a "bright" idea to knit the sole of the second sock in twisted stockinette stitch. Just to do something different ... and without knitting a gauge swatch.

I know better than that!!!



I knit up the entire second sock, admiring how nice the twisted stockinette stitch looked, never bothering to compare it to the first one - which was stuffed in my knitting bag.

It was only when I got ready to block the two socks, the I realized what a mistake I had made. The second sock was NOT the same size as the first one. Not even close. There was no possible way I could "save" this in the blocking process.

So, I bit the bullet and ripped out the entire second sock.

I could suggest that it's somewhat appropriate that the re-knit of the second sock took place almost entirely during my trip to Kauai, because the pattern is a modified version of the "Pyroclastic" socks from Knitty, Winter 2009. (You know volcanic island, volcanic phenomena.) But that's just putting a nice story on a mistake.

I do wish I had thought to take a picture of my first go-round of the second sock. It would have been good to have a visual record of my ump-teenth gauge swatch lesson.

No comments:

Post a Comment