Monday, August 29, 2011

Experimenting with Cast-Ons - 1x1 Ribbing - Day 4

   • Long-tail Cast-On
   • Channel Islands Cast-On
   • Cable Cast-On
   • Alternate Cable Cast-On
   • Knitting On
   • Crochet Cast-On (in 2 versions)


Now, I'll try various non-tubular/round-edge cast ons and see what they look like with 1x1 ribbing.

It probably would have made more sense to start with these. However, my initial impetus for experimenting & documenting 1x1 cast-ons came when I was working with a tubular/round-edge cast on and it was only as I  was working through those that it occurred to me to document the non-tubular cast-ons as well.

Long-tail Cast-On

Because if I'm going to be complete, I need to include Long-tail. The 2 sides do look different. Here is a photo with the return row facing (tail is on the right and this is typically the "wrong" side).
Here is the other side facing (tail is on the left and this is typically the "right" side).


Overall Outcome: Return side ("wrong") is bumpy. Main side ("right") is a scalloped edge. This was the first cast-on I learned (many, many years ago) and one I have used many, many times. While I think it is a perfectly acceptable edge, it is not my favorite for 1x1 ribbing. Nevertheless, I could envision situations where I might choose this cast-on and might select either side to be the right side depending on the the project.

Channel Islands Cast-On

I haven't used this cast-on before, so I was curious about it. I followed instructions in Hand Knitting Techniques from Threads and also reviewed online instructions. Most begin with a slip knot, but this one shows that a slip knot is not necessary. This one clarifies that you can end with a yarn over.

I found the process for this cast-on to be a little awkward at first, but after a bit I got the hang of it. As with long-tail cast-on, the 2 sides are different. Here is the swatch with the "return" row facing (typically the "wrong" side)
Here is the other side with the second row facing (typically the "right" side).

While the picot-like edge of the "return" side is somewhat decorative, I think the "right" side blends with the 1x1 ribbing better.

It seemed to me that the edge of this swatch was flaring a bit. I tried a "take 2" on this casting on with a needle 2 sizes down and working 1 row of 1x1 ribbing with the smaller needle before switching to the regular needle. To better check the flare issue, I worked a wider sample. Here is the "return" row side ("wrong" side).
Here is the second row side ("right" side).

Overall Outcome: I like this better than long-tail cast on and could see using it if I wanted a slightly decorative edge. I do think starting with a smaller needle size helped.

Cable Cast-On

Both Vogue Knitting and Hand Knitting Techniques from Threads recommend using Alternate Cable Cast-On for 1x1 ribbing. First though, I thought I'd see what standard cable cast-on looks like. Then, I'll know why I really should use the alternate method. A download available on this page describes both the Cable Cast-On and the Alternate Cable Cast-On.

When placing the new stitch on the left needle, I don't twist the new stitch. More specifically, I pull up the new stitch with the right needle moving the needle towards the right until it clears the tip of the left needle. Then I insert the tip of the left needle into the loop of the new stitch without making a twist. (I'd call this a "purlwise" transfer of the stitch rather than a "knitwise" transfer.) Before tightening up the new stitch, I insert my right needle between the new stitch and the previous stitch. Then, I tighten up the new stitch. This keeps the new stitches at a loose, consistent gauge and my right needle is exactly where it needs to be to cast on the next stitch

Here's the return side (typically "wrong"). (Tail is on the left since it gets left behind during the cast-on.)
Here's the first side (typically "right"). (Tail is on the right.)

Overall Outcome: In this case, I prefer the return side ("wrong") side although I suspect I will agree that the Alternate Cable Cast-On is better for 1x1 ribbing.

Alternate Cable Cast-On

In the alternate method, stitches are cast on alternately from the front and then from the back. Downloadable instructions are linked in the Cable Cast-On section above. Also the second paragraph in that section applies here as well.
Here's the return side (typically "wrong").
Here's the first side (typically "right").

Overall Outcome: Oh yes, I see why this cast on is recommended over the standard Cable Cast-On. I like it much better. I think both sides look just fine so this would work for a rib that might either be folded over or left flat.

Knitting On

I've never even tried knitting on. Why would I? Elizabeth Zimmerman says we should use Cable Cast-On rather than knitting on and I've found EZ's recommendations to be pretty much spot on. However, in the interest of thoroughness, I gave it a shot. Here are some photos.

Overall Outcome: Yep. As usual, I think EZ is right. This is likely to be the first and last time I work this cast-on.

Crochet Cast-On

Back on Day 2, I noted that while I hadn't used crochet cast on as a provisional cast on, I had used it as a standard cast on. Here's the return side ("wrong"). (First row after the cast-on.)
Here's the other side ("right").
I think the return ("wrong") side looks a lot like the return side of the Cable Cast On. Since I've already decided that I prefer the Alternate Cable Cast On, I didn't do a large swatch of this one.

What about if I do the crochet cast on as a provisional and then work 1x1 ribbing (without doing any tubular ribbing). Here's the sample with the provisional yarn still in place.
Here are some shots with the provisional yarn removed. First the "return" ("wrong") side.
And here's the "right" side.

Overall Outcome: I like the second version (provisional crochet cast-on and then 1x1 ribbing) better. The flat, loopy edge is attractive. The provisional yarn does not "unzip", but has to be pulled out one stitch at a time. This is OK for a small sample, but I'd need to really want this flat, loopy edge to use it for a long piece.

I've decided not to sample decorative cast-ons as I think those would be unique to the project. So, I do believe that wraps up my experimenting. Next up will be my conclusions.

No comments:

Post a Comment