Friday, August 26, 2011

Experimenting with Cast-Ons - 1x1 Ribbing - Day 3

   • Tubular Cast-On, Version A
   • Tubular Cast-On, Version B
   • Invisible Cast-On

   • Invisible Provisional, Version 1 - Take 2

Next up are "tubular" cast-ons, another "invisible" cast-on and a do-over of a Day 1 "invisible" cast-on.

Tubular Cast-On, Version A

This cast-on is in two of my "go to" knitting books - Vogue Knitting and Hand-Knitting Techniques from Threads. An online version can be found here. You begin with a provisional yarn and cast on half the number of required stitches. Then, with the main color work k1, yo to the end of the row ending with k1 (which leaves you with an odd number of stitches on the needle). For the 1x1 ribbing, the yo becomes the purl stitch and the k1 is, of course, the knit stitch. After the k1, yo row you work 2 or 4 rows of tubular ribbing. If you need an even number of 1x1 ribbing stitches (pretty common in my experience), my instructions say to increase 1 st at the end of the 1st row. Once again, this would leave me with 1x1 ribbing that begins with a purl stitch instead of a knit stitch. Perhaps I just need to get over my "issue" about starting 1x1 ribbing with a purl stitch. On the other hand, maybe I could increase 1 at the beginning of the row instead of the end of the row. I'll give it a try and see what happens.

The Hand-Knitting Techniques from Threads instructions recommend beginning with a needle size 2 sizes smaller than the main needle size. I did that and here's the provisional cast on of half the number of stitches followed by 1 row with the main yarn (k1, yo ... ending with k1). Front side ...
and back side ...

Next comes 4 rows of tubular yarn and, then, with the regular size needles, several rows of standard 1x1 ribbing. (I did try increasing at the beginning of my first row of tubular knitting rather than at the end.)
Next I removed the provisional yarn. This was a slow-ish process since I had used long-tail cast-on for the provisional yarn. (Not the best choice.) Here's the finished sample with the provisional yarn removed.
Wow! Isn't that lovely!

Overall Outcome: This is a beautiful tubular/round edge. I think increasing at the beginning of the first row of tubular knitting (to get to an even number of stitches) worked use fine. So far, this is the first tubular/round edge cast-on to rival Invisible Provisional version 1.

Tubular Cast-On, Version B

This is in Vogue Knitting (page 27), but it's also the version of tubular cast-on I've seen most frequently online. This is the cast on that I think matches up with the Crochet Cast-On for Tubular Rib mentioned in my "Day 2" post. It begins with a provisional cast on of half the number of stitches required (using the simple backward loop method). Then, with the main color, work 4 rows in stockinette stitch beginning with a purl row. Next row, purl the first stitch, then pick up the first main color loop (from that first purl row), slip it on to the left needle and knit it through the back of the loop. Continue across. You end up with an even number of stitches, however, once again each 1x1 rib row begins with a purl stitch. (Yeah, I'm going to have to get over this issue.)

Note: In the Crochet Cast-On for Tubular Rib, the pick up process is a little different.

Here's the front side after the 4 rows of stockinette have been worked.
Here's the back side.
Here's the finished sample.
This is another lovely rounded edge. It is much firmer than the other tubular/round edge cast-ons. The edge itself is noticeably narrower than the main ribbing.

Overall Outcome: With it's significantly firmer edge, I think this would be a good choice for cuffs, collars (on a top down sweater) or other places where firm and slightly narrower would work. I haven't documented the crochet version of this as I don't think I'm likely to use it. (I thought the results were exactly the same as this "Tubular Cast On, Version B" method and as mentioned before, picking up stitches on the back of the crocheted chain was not my favorite technique.)

Invisible Cast-On

From Vogue Knitting again (page 27). Although I haven't searched exhaustively, I haven't run across this online. You begin with a provisional yarn and cast on half the number of required stitches. Then, work standard 1x1 ribbing (k1, p1) for 3 or more rows. Next, switch to needles 2 sizes smaller and the main yarn, work k1, p1 in each stitch, doubling the number of stitches. Then, work tubular rib (k1, s1p wyif) for 4 rows. Switch back to regular needles and work standard 1x1 ribbing.

Here's my swatch with the provisional section still attached.
And here's the swatch with the provisional section removed.
Just for comparison purposes. Here's this swatch at the top and the Tubular, version B at the bottom.

Overall Outcome: I think the results of this cast on are quite similar to other tubular/round-edge cast-ons. I did end up with 1x1 ribbing beginning with a knit stitch. (Yeah!) I found unraveling the 3+ rows of the provisional yarn to be a pain. I wanted to save the provisional yarn (who knows why!) so I unraveled from the bottom. I suspect snipping the provisional yarn and unraveling from the top wouldn't have been nearly as bad. Interestingly, although you begin working in the main yarn with needles 2 sizes down, the final edge is not narrow & firm.

Before wrapping up the tubular/round-edge cast-ons, I wanted to go back and try

Invisible Provisional, Version 1 - Take 2

This time with a thin provisional yarn (I used sock yarn) and using needles 2 sizes smaller than the main/working needles for the provisional cast on and the 4 rows of tubular rib.

Here I've completed the provisional cast on and am ready to begin tubular ribbing.

Here the 4 rows of tubular knitting are complete and I'm ready to switch to the main/working needles.

And here's the final swatch. First with the provisional yarn still in place ...
Now, with the provisional yarn removed.

There's still a loop on the side (left, lower edge), but it's much smaller and disappeared when I gave the edge a little tug.
One more shot with a little better view of the edge itself.


OK !! I think that finishes off the tubular/round-edge cast-ons.

However, my 1x1 cast-on experimenting is not complete yet. Next, I'll work up swatches in standard cast-ons (long tail, cable, alternate cable, crochet cast-on, etc.) and working standard 1x1 ribbing immediately after the cast on.

1 comment:

  1. I liked the tubular cast-off so well, I've come back for a tubular cast-on. I want to use your top recommendation, but am not sure I understand your directions. It looks like you use a provisional cast-on with thin yarn and a needle two sizes smaller than called for, but cast on the full number of stitches before working the tubular 1x1 ribbing. Is that correct? Then after the four rows of tubular ribbing you switch to the regular needles and regular 1x1 ribbing? Thanks for the help!

    ReplyDelete