Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Cast-Ons for 1x1 Ribbing - Conclusions

After working up approximately 20 swatches of various cast-ons for 1x1 ribbing, what have I learned?

Lesson 1 - I should have done this a LONG time ago because ...

Lesson 2 - Tubular edges for 1x1 ribbing are magnificent!
The round (aka "tubular") edge achieved by working several rows of tubular 1x1 ribbing before moving on to standard 1x1 ribbing is just beautiful. My favorites are: Invisible Provisional, Version 1 (take 2); Tubular Cast-on, Version A; and Tubular Cast-on, Version B. (All described on my "Day 3" post.)

Lesson 3 - When thinking about using something other than a tubular edge, I will think again!

Lesson 4 - If I still think there's a good reason NOT to use a tubular edge, I would choose Alternate Cable Cast-On, Channel Islands Cast-On or Crochet Cast-On. (All described on my "Day 4" post.)

Lesson 5 - When considering my cast-on choice, I will remember that I am embarking on a hand-knit piece to which I will devote hours and hours of my time. The beginning warrants my finest effort.

Now for some additional details as well as a few photos ...

Tubular Edges

For a soft, round edge that is the same width as the main ribbing, I have two favorite methods:
   •  Invisible Provisional, Version 1 (take 2)
   •  Tubular Cast-on, Version A
For a firm, round edge that is slightly narrower than the main ribbing, my favorite method is:
   •  Tubular Cast-on, Version B
Experimenting ... Day 3 covers these 3.

Here's Invisible Provisional, Version 1 (take 2)
Here's Tubular Cast-on, Version A

I like these results equally well. Both require a provisional yarn and both require a needle 2 (or more) sizes smaller than the main needle size. Invisible Provisional, Version 1 (take 2) calls for a thin provisional yarn. Tubular Cast-on, Version A does not and, in a pinch, I think you could use a piece of the working yarn in place of the provisional yarn. I know you can use the working yarn in place of the provisional yarn for Invisible Provisional, Version 1 because (as noted in Experimenting ... Day 1) this is precisely what the Italian Cast-On does.

Here's Tubular Cast-on, Version B
This nice firm edge would be perfect for a cuff or a collar on a top-down sweater. It requires a provisional yarn but no additional needles. As with Tubular Cast-on, Version A, I think you could use a piece of the working yarn instead of a provisional yarn in a pinch.

Non-tubular Edges

Of all the non-tubular/round-edge cast-ons that I tried, my favorites are:
   •  Alternate Cable Cast On
   •  Channel Island Cast On
   •  Crochet Cast On using a provisional yarn
Experimenting ... Day 4 covers these 3 (as well as several others).

Here is Alternate Cable Cast-On which I think would work for an edge that blends in with 1x1 ribbing, although not magnificently like the tubular edges.
Here is Channel Islands Cast-On which I think would be work for a slightly decorative edge that blends well with 1x1 ribbing
Here is Crochet Cast On using a provisional yarn which I think works for a flat loopy edge that blends well with 1x1 ribbing

Nevertheless, as noted above, a tubular edge will be my default with any other cast-on being a specific choice for a specific reason.

No comments:

Post a Comment