Friday, May 2, 2014

UFO Knitting - 1 Week, Every Month

Recently, my friend Linda lent me her copy of Crewel World by Monica Ferris
Being a mystery set around a needlework shop, it was right up my alley. It's fairly light and a quick, enjoyable read. It was published in 1999 and is the first in a series that's now up to 16 books. Yep, I'm a little slow getting to this series.

So, what does any of this have to do with Knitting UFOs (UnFinished Objects)? Well, early on in Crewel World, Margot (sister of main character, Betsy), mentions that the last week of every month is UFO Week.

Hmmm ... a week a month dedicated to working on UFOs. What a great idea! It's enough time to make headway, but not so much time that I get bored or frustrated. If I'm not finished, I can set my UFO aside - guilt free!! - because a month later, I'll pick it back up again. This shouldn't be so long that I forget where I am, but long enough that I'm ready to get back to my UFO.

At first, I thought I'd make the last week of April my first UFO week. I usually think of a week as starting on a Sunday or maybe on a Monday and the last week of the month as including the last day of the month. By those "rules", April 27/28-May 3/4 is the last week of April.

Well, yesterday afternoon, I went to the Lopez Island Library where I've been getting together with a couple elementary school kids for after-school knitting. There I was knitting with Kayla and I told her about UFOs and my plan for the last week of the month being UFO week. She said, "but today is May 1st? So, isn't this the 1st week of May?"

Right! Kayla had pinpointed a hiccup in my plan. Is April 27/28-May 3/4 the last week of April or the first week of May?

This last-week-of-the-month idea is complicated and confusing. Most definitely NOT a good thing when dealing with UFOs. Time for a pattern mod. (Hey, it's knitting. I couldn't resist.)

UFO week is now the first 7 days of every month. Tah-dah! Easy to remember. Easy to do. (I hope!)

And my UFO project for this week:
Wow! I can't believe I set these aside so close to being finished!

No comments:

Post a Comment