Sunday, April 27, 2014

Bernat Panama - Traveling Vine Top (1)

Now that I had a large swatch of traveling vine lace and stockinette stitch in Bernat Panama Misty Blue ...
I was ready to take some gauge measurements, rough out a sketch and calculate my cast-on count.

My plan is for a simple, close-fitting top with the traveling lace pattern at the lower edge. I'd like the bottom of the top to hit at the high-hip and, while it won't be drapey, I don't want it to cling either. So, I'm going for a loose, kind of floating fit at the lower edge coming up to a close fit at the bust and upper body. Rather than the entire top hanging from my shoulders, I'd like use my upper body to support the upper section of the top.

I decided to go with two repeats of the traveling lace pattern - just like I did for the swatch - and then switch to stockinette stitch for the rest of the top. On my swatch, I used reverse stockinette stitch rows to identify needle size changes. I like those rows, so I think I'll throw in an occasional reverse stockinette stitch row when I'm working the top.

I jumped right in to knitting and took a few photos after I'd finished the two repeats of the traveling lace pattern. (The color is a little off in these photos. The swatch photo is much closer to the correct color.)
I checked my gauge.

Everything looked good. I like the pattern stitch and the gauge was coming out right.

Next, I worked a reverse stockinette stitch round and then switched to stockinette stitch. After a few inches of stockinette stitch, I decided to try it on.

Well, it's not quite right. The lower edge isn't big enough (too clingy at the high hip) and the upper edge is way too big. Oh boy, looks like I'll be ripping out.

My first "UFO Week" is coming up, so I'm going to set this project aside and mull over how I'm going to deal with my fit issues while I'm working on finishing up something else that I set aside.

No comments:

Post a Comment