Sunday, April 13, 2014

Bernat Panama -- Working From My Stash

My mom knew all kinds of needlework techniques and, amazingly, she was good at all of them - sewing, knitting, crocheting, quilting, counted cross stitch ... even tatting.

She happily passed her knowledge along to her six daughters and before she died, she also passed along her stash and UFOs. Among the sisters, different ones gravitated toward different techniques. Several of us knit, but I'm the enthusiast and so her stash of Bernat Panama Yarn is now part of my stash.
10 skeins of white, 7 skeins of misty blue and 2 each of petal pink and corn flower blue.
It's a cotton/acrylic/linen blend.
My guess is that she planned to knit a summer sweater set - cardigan and tank or short sleeved pullover - but the bag of yarn didn't come with a pattern and, silly me, I didn't think to ask her about it.

Well, after a week of glorious spring weather here, I have a hankering for some summer knitting. So, I pulled this out and started swatching. I decided to work with the Misty Blue thinking that I might add a little corn flower blue edging or maybe both corn flower blue and petal pink edging.

My first idea was something with a lacey, drapey lower edgy. I quickly learned that the yarn was not going to cooperate with this idea. I suspect the linen portion of the blend was putting the kibosh on drapey.

Still, I wasn't ready to give up on lacey. Eventually, I stumbled on a traveling vine pattern stitch and gave it a try.
Now, this I like!

I finished up a nice big swatch, working stockinette stitch above the lace - first on size 5 needles, than on size 4 needles. (I knit the lace portion on size 6 needles.)
I wet blocked the swatch and took pictures.
I'm thinking a simple, close-fitting tank with a lace border. Or maybe a short-sleeved sweater with lace at the neck edge and sleeve edge as well.

Time to rough out a pattern, measure my gauge and calculate my cast-on count. Can't wait to get started on this!

No comments:

Post a Comment