Sunday, January 8, 2012

I Still Need a Hat

Back in December, I was working on a hat - for myself - and wrote several posts about it (starting out and working the cross stitch without a cable needle version 1 and version 2). Also back in December - while I was putting the finishing touches on the hat - Bill & I traveled to Augusta, Georgia to visit my parents and my sister Jeanne.

Jeanne thought the hat was cute and I thought the hat looked good on her. Here she is sitting on my parent's front porch wearing the prototype Moss and Cross Hat.
As noted in my initial "I Need a Hat" post, the hat is knit from the top down. (I hadn't figured out exactly what I wanted to do, so I started at the top and figured I'd try it on as I knit.)

The cross part of the pattern is introduced first. Then the moss pattern.
I made increases in the moss section up to a nice, gentle fit around the head.
I finished with a little bit of ribbing, a turning row ...
... and then picked up a cotton yarn and lined the brim section. (Alas, I do NOT have a picture of that.)

The cotton lining keeps the brim section from itching. The gentle fit of the rest of the hat and the very soft yarn, keeps it from itching.

But when we packed our bags and headed to the Augusta airport, the hat remained behind at Jeanne's house and so ... I still need a hat.

P.S. I had enough yarn for a second Moss and Cross Hat, so I knit that up ... and gave it away too! This time to my niece Maddie who is going to college in Boston.

No comments:

Post a Comment