Wednesday, December 7, 2011

I Need a Hat - The Cross Stitch

In working the "cross" portion of the pattern stitch I'm using for this hat (described in my first "I Need a Hat" post), I've been doing the cross without a cable needle. So, I thought I'd take some photos of the technique I'm using.

Here we are in round 5 of the pattern. (Having worked slip 1, knit 2 in rounds 3 and 4.)
The first stitch on the left needle is the slip stitch - the stitch that will be crossed over the next 2 stitches on the left needle. What I do is drop the slip stitch off the needle, then knit the next 2 stitches, then pick up the dropped stitch and knit it.

Yep, I just leave that first stitch hanging out in front of the work, completely unsecured by a needle. Since it was slipped in the previous 2 rounds, it isn't directly connected to the other stitches in this round and therefore, it's much less likely to work it's way out while you're working the other stitches. It helps that in this pattern, the stitch only has to "hang out" while you work 2 stitches and then it's picked up and all secure again. Finally, the yarn itself is a little "sticky" and that helps as well.

So, here we go.

I usually just slip the stitch off the needle, but if you want to give yourself a bit of extra insurance you can use the right needle to give the stitch a little tug.
Then slide it off and pinch it.
Now let it go. (This is where you would be if you just slipped the stitch off the left needle.)
Leave it hanging out on the front side of the work and knit the next stitch on the left needle.

Now knit another stitch from the left needle.

Here we are - the first stitch is still hanging out and the next 2 stitches have been knit and are on the right needle.
Now it's time to get that first stitch back. Insert your left needle into the "hanging out" stitch (being sure not to twist it)
Now you'll knit this stitch, crossing it in front of the previous 2 stitches.

Ta-da! A 1-over-2 left cross (cable) done without a cable needle.

In my next post, I'll show another method for cabling without a needle.

No comments:

Post a Comment